St Ives CALMTown is today launching Together in January, a new initiative to encourage people in St Ives to stay connected to people in January, look after their wellbeing and seek support if they need it.
January is typically a tough time of year for many but this year, following months of lockdown and a Christmas that looks set to be different than usual, the first month of 2021 is likely to be harder than usual.
Community plays a key role in mental health and wellbeing, helping and supporting neighbours increases sense of community and feelings of safety and security. It also reduces loneliness and helps to build closer friendships. Together in January not only encourages neighbours to reach out to each other but will also signpost the many organisations who are there to provide professional support and advice to those who need it.
For Together in January, CALMTown is asking people in St Ives to get involved in a variety of ways:
- We’re going to aim to deliver a Together In January leaflet to every home in St Ives signposting support and helplines. AND we’re asking everyone to display it in their windows as a sign of support and community.
- Leave on a set of Christmas lights up to let people on their street know that they care.
- Make a light window using tissue paper. Create a colourful image that lights up at night when your lights are on.
- Arrange a regular check-in with neighbours, obeying any social distancing rules, and chat to them in their gardens, arrange to have short walk together, or whatever helps.
- Send positive messages via social media, and if your street doesn’t have a WhatsApp group then start one.
Rev Matt Finch of CALMTown said: “January is typically the time of year when people are most likely to struggle with their mental wellbeing, but with many already suffering following months of lockdown and heightened financial concerns, we are aiming to support the mental wellbeing of St Ives residents this January. We’ve developed Together in January to get people in our town to come together and show their neighbours that they care. Simply by keeping up a set of lights, putting a flyer up in the window and connecting with neighbours, we can all help each other get through this month and beyond into 2021, stronger and better together”.
If you want to be a part of Together in January please email us email@example.com with your name and street. This means we can keep you updated with ideas and maybe connect you with others in your area.